A current Tufts University ID, Tufts Medical Center ID, Boston Library Consortium Card, or HHSL library card is required to check out materials. Please see Access & Registration for further information regarding access and privileges to the library.
The amount of time an item can be borrowed varies according to the item type as follows:
- Up to two reserve books can be checked out for four hours and must remain in the library.
- One overnight book can be checked out for use after 4:00 PM on weekdays, and must be returned by 9:00 AM the following day. Overnight books checked out on Fridays after 4:00 PM or during the weekend are due back on the following Monday at 9:00 AM.
- DVDs, anatomical models, and computer peripherals (headphones, USB drives, cables, etc.) are available for check out at the Library Service Desk for four hours.
- Materials may be recalled if not returned on time.
- Any infractions of borrowing policies will result in temporary suspension to borrowing and renewing privileges.
- Laptops are available for check out at the Library Service Desk during all staffed hours.
- Further information regarding laptop use and policies is available on the Wireless Laptop Checkout page.
Books, DVDs, and Leisure Reading
- These items can be borrowed for four weeks.
- Items can be renewed twice for an additional four weeks if no requests or recalls for the book have been made.
- Current issues of journals (those journals within the current year) can be checked out for three hours.
- Older journal issues can be checked out for 24 hours.
- Reference books are for library use only and are not available for check out.
Special Collections and Archives
- Special Collections and archived materials are available for library use only. Please contact Collections Management for assistance with these collections.
For questions concerning specific resources or services,
please call the Hirsh Health Sciences Library, Library Service Desk, Monday-Friday
between 7:45 AM and 11:00 PM at 617.636.6706 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.