Citation-management programs are time-saving tools that allow you to:
- Create libraries of citations that have been directly exported from databases or entered by hand
- Organize citations into folders and store PDF documents
- Insert citations into word processing documents and format bibliographies in avariety of styles
Below is a comparison of three citation-management programs:
To learn more about these programs or request instruction, please contact the HHSL.
Please see the Tisch Library's guides: Comparing Citation Tools and Other Citation Tools for more information about these useful programs. Quosa Information Manager can be used to automate the retrieval of PDFs from the search results of Ovid Medline and PubMed@Tufts. Please contact Elizabeth Richardson for details.
What it RefWorks?
Where can I learn more RefWorks?
Contact the HHSL for more information about RefWorks and to arrange for instruction. The HHSL has produced the following instructions: RefWorks: the Basics
What is EndNote?
- a software program that you install on your computer.
- available for purchase at a discount for Tufts students (click on the "More Software" tab and scroll down to Thomas Reuters).
- able to download PDFs and attach them to citation records (EndNote version X4 and higher)
- create citation records from PDFs (EndNote version X4 and higher).
- able to insert tabels/figures into Microsoft Word documents along with captions.
Where can I learn more EndNote?
Contact the HHSL for more information and to arrange for instruction. The HHSL has produced the following instructions: EndNote: the Basics. Also, visit the EndNote web site.
What it Zotero?
- a Firefox web browser extension that gathers and organizes sources from the web and by hand.
- freely available on the web (you do not need to be affiliated with Tufts) at:http://www.zotero.org/
- enabled to work with both Microsoft Word and Open Office via a downloadable plug-in.
Where can I learn more about them?
Contact the HHSL for more information about Zotero. Visit the Zotero web site.