The Hirsh Health Sciences Library provides laptop computers equipped with wireless ethernet cards for loan to eligible borrowers for use within the library. The laptops are configured with Microsoft Office and Firefox. Users can use the laptops to access the internet.
Who is eligible to use this service?
- All registered library patrons with a valid ID.
What is the loan period?
- Laptops are restricted to Sackler use only.
- Laptops may be checked out for 4 hours.
- Laptops may be renewed provided not all laptops are checked out and no one is waiting.
Where can I borrow a laptop?
- 9 - 6:00 pm ( Monday - Friday ) at the Library IT Service Desk, 5th Floor
- After 6:00 pm ( Weekdays ) and all day on weekends( during library hours ) at 4th Floor Library Service Desk
- Laptops are available up to 1 hour before closing.
Return of laptops
- Laptops must be returned to the 5th floor Library IT Service Desk or the 4th Floor Library Service Desk.
- Library staff will verify that the laptop is in good condition and that no components are missing. This may take 5 - 10 minutes.
If you choose the Mac operating system:
If you choose the Windows operating system:
- OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Microsoft Office 2012
- Windows XP
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Users must read and sign the Borrowers agreement.
- Laptops cannot leave the Sackler building.
- Only one laptop per person may be checked out at a time.
- The library staff will not hold a borrowed laptop for patrons who wish to leave the library.
- Laptops must be returned 4 hours after checkout or 1/2 hour before library closing.
Conditions of use
- Never leave the laptop unattended!
- Handle the laptop carefully and do not touch the screen.
- Laptop borrowers assume full responsibility for damage, loss or theft. If damage occurs to the laptop or accessories, charges for repair or replacement will be imposed.
- In case of emergency evacuation, please take the laptop with you and return it to the Library Service Desk when the building is safe to reenter.
- Users must adhere to the Tufts University Responsible Use Policies and not violate any Digital Copyright Laws.
- The installation of file sharing software is not allowed. Users who cause the laptops to be restricted from the Tufts Network may be denied future borrowing privileges and will be reported to their school.
- Tufts University is not responsible for any files left on the laptop, or for loss or damage of the user’s files during the loan period. Any files saved on the laptop are automatically removed when the laptop is restarted and cannot be recovered.
- Laptops will be assumed lost if not returned by closing on the day borrowed.
- The borrower may be fined by loss of borrowing privileges for an overdue laptop.
- The borrower will be charged for damage or the replacement of the laptop (up to $1600).