The Hirsh Health Sciences Library provides laptop computers equipped with wireless ethernet cards for loan to eligible borrowers for use within the library. The laptops are configured with Microsoft Office and Firefox. Users can use the laptops to access the internet.
Who is eligible to use this service?
- All registered library patrons with a valid ID.
What is the loan period?
- Laptops are restricted to use in the Sackler Building only.
- Laptops may be checked out for 4 hours.
- Laptops may be renewed provided not all laptops are checked out and no one is waiting.
Where can I borrow a laptop?
Return of laptops
- Laptops must be returned to the 4th Floor Library Service Desk.
- Library staff will verify that the laptop is in good condition and that no components are missing. This may take 5 - 10 minutes.
If you choose the Mac operating system:
If you choose the Windows operating system:
- OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Microsoft Office 2012
- Windows XP
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Users must read and sign the Equipment Borrowing Agreement.
- A library patron must present a valid picture ID to borrow a laptop, iPad or accessories.
- Only one laptop per person may be checked out at a time.
- The checkout period is 4 hours.
- Laptops, iPads and/or accessories can be renewed multiple times per day provided not all the laptops or accessories have been checked out.
- The library staff will not hold borrowed equipment for patrons who wish to leave the building.
- Equipment must be returned to the 4th floor Library Service Desk.
- Equipment must be returned 4 hours after checkout or a half hour before library closing.
- Equipment can only be used in the Sackler Building.
- No laptops, iPads, or accessories will be loaned one hour before closing.
Conditions of use
- Never leave the laptop unattended!
- Handle the equipment carefully and do not touch the screen of the laptop.
- Equipment borrowers assume full responsibility for damage, loss or theft. If damage occurs to the equipment, charges for repair or replacement will be imposed.
- In case of emergency evacuation, please take the equipment with you and return it to the Library Service Desk when the building is safe to reenter.
- Users must adhere to all University Policies (https://it.tufts.edu/univ-pol) and must not violate any Digital Copyright Laws.
- The installation of file sharing software is not allowed. Users who cause a borrowed laptop to be restricted from the Tufts Network may be denied future borrowing privileges and will be reported to their school.
- Tufts University is not responsible for any files left on the laptop or iPad or for loss or damage of the user's files during the loan period. Any files saved on the laptop are automatically removed when the laptop is restarted and cannot be recovered.
- All equipment will be assumed lost if not returned by closing on the day borrowed.
- The borrower may be fined by loss of borrowing privileges for an overdue laptop.
- The borrower will be charged for damage or the replacement of the laptop (up to $1600).
Any infractions of the borrowing policies and conditions of use will result in the temporary suspension of borrowing and renewing privileges:
- 1st offense: suspension of all borrowing privileges to be lifted 24 hours after item is returned
- 2nd offense: suspension of all borrowing privileges to be lifted one week (7 days) after return
- 3rd offense: suspension of all borrowing privileges to be lifted one month after return and notification to the dean
- 4th offense: suspension of all borrowing privileges to be lifted one semester after return
Loss or Damage Penalities
- The borrower will be charged for damage or the replacement of the laptop, iPad, or accessories (up to $1600).