To find the right resource, it helps to first identify key stakeholders. This page will list some important stakeholders and their resources for selected public-health interventions.
Cancer Control PLANET
Sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and other federal agencies, this portal links to resources that can assist in
- Assessing the cancer and/or risk factor burden within a given state.
- Identifying potential partners that may already be working with high-risk populations.
- Understanding the current research findings and recommendations.
- Accessing and downloading evidence-based programs and products.
- Finding guidelines for planning and evaluation.
Healthy People 2020
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Healthy People 2020 are the health goals for Americans. Healthy People 2020 lists
- Health pobjectives and goals by topic area, e.g.
- Benchmark data that has been established by previous Healthy People initiatives
- Current initiatives/interventions to help achieve goals
U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
The CDC is the primary federal stakeholder for preventative health for the United States. The CDC
- Gathers health status and behavior data through surveillance and surveys.
- Nutrition and weight-related data is gathered through:
- Promotes interventions with demonstrated effectiveness
- Provides public-health information about the scope of diseases and conditions on the health of Americans.
- Obesity Prevention
- Obesity Statistics and the Impact of Obesity
- Strategic Plan for Overweight & Obesity Prevention
- Lexis Nexis
The academic version of this huge database of legal and trade literature includes articles from most American newspapers as well as statistical information. Search the News by these & other source types:
- broadcast transcripts
- wire services
- major newspapers
This multimedia clearinghouse to health information includes lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia, health information in Spanish, information on prescription and over-the-counter drugs, health news, and links to clinical trials. Browse it by topic or search by keywords.
- Community Toolbox
Produced by the U. of Kansas' Work Group for Community Health and Development, this site provides links and resources for designing and evaluating programs.
Grey Literature Report
Compiled by the New York Academy of Medicine, this database contains literature that is "produced on all levels of government, academics, business and industry in print and electronic formats, but which is not controlled by commercial publishers.
This ProQuest database can be searched for press releases and policy statements by keywords or browsed by sponsoring organization.
The world's premiere repository of the clinical and biomedical journal literature is compiled by the National Library of Medicine.
- On its Advanced search page, build a search with
- obesity (or your topic's MeSH) as a MeSH Major Topic
- AND prevention or epidemiology as a MeSH Subheading.
- To locate studies of effectiveness (i.e., evidence) consider specific study methodologies.
- AND your topic with cohort studies as MeSH Term.
- Use the Article types filters located on the left side of the search-results screen.
- Randomized Controlled Trial
- Systematic Reviews
- Randomized Controlled Trial
- Other useful filters
- Practice Guidelines