Recasting the Colonial World
Research Sources & Tips
Critical Biographies & Overviews
Concise Encyclopedia of Latin American Literature / editor, Verity Smith.
The Cambridge Companion to Modern Latin American Culture. F1408.3 .C283 2004
The Oxford Encyclopedia of Mesoamerican Cultures / edited by Davíd Carrasco.
Early encounters in North America.
contains 1,482 authors and over 100,000 pages of letters, diaries, memoirs and accounts of early encounters.
Textos y documentos de la América hispánica (1492-1898) / seleccionados y presentados por Guillermo Céspedes del Castillo.
Colonial lives: documents on Latin American history, 1550-1850 / edited by Richard Boyer, Geoffrey Spurling.
Colonial Spanish America: a documentary history / edited by Kenneth Mills and William B. Taylor.
A. Use Library Catalogs to find books
B. Sample Searches:
(note the search pattern; modify to your own needs)
2. WorldCat (beyond Tufts)
1. On the literry authors or filmmakers
2. the Historical and Literary Contexts
3. The Colonial Chronicle and Related Works
A. Subject Databases for Journal Articles
B. Popular Press
C. Finding Full Text
JSTOR is a favorite with its full texts in core journals of all disciplines. Project Muse does not include exactly the same JSTOR journals, but it has more recent and current articles on many topics.
3. Academic OneFile
All subjects; a convenient Quick Start.
5. Literature (MLA)
MLA is the principal bibliographic tool for literary studies.
6. Latin American Studies (Both English and Spanish language materials.)
7. HAPI (a larger database compared to the above, including scholarship on Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico border region, and Hispanics in the United States.)
8. When you GoogleScholar, a limited scholarly universe; set your Scholar Preferences to access our full texts.
Latin American Newspapers Series 1, 1805-1922 (45 newspapers)
Latin American Newspapers Series 2, 1822-1922 (250 additional titles)
Hispanic American Newspapers (1808 1980)
New York Times Online Archive
(1851 - 3 years before current date)
Times Digital Archive (1785 - 1985)
Book, Movie, Music, Play, And Video Reviews (in LexisNexis)
Factiva (including Spanish Language sources)
1. Click on the button in your search results screen to a window of three sequential options:
a. link to the digital full text when available;
b. link to a Library Catalog search for the print journal;
c. link to ILliad for requesting the article when the above two options are negative.
2. Search for a journal directly here:
a. Tufts Library Catalog (including e-journals)
c. Use ILliad to request your article, if Tufts does not have your journal.
IV. Writing and Citing
A Short Guide to Writing about Literature by Sylvan Barnet. Ref: PE1479.C7 B3
Writing about Literature (Writing Center at UNC.)
A Short Guide to Writing about Film by Timothy Corrigan. Ref: PN1995 .C66 2010
Writing About Film (Dartmouth Writing Program)
Tufts Academic Resources Center -- Writing Tutors
MLA Style (for citing sources)